Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Granola Bars

It's funny that I've had the recipe for four years and yet I just never got to trying it.  I actually can't believe I saved it for that long but whenever I saw it I was always reminded that I wanted to try to make my own granola bars and so it would find its way back into my recipe binder. Finally, two weeks ago I decided to make them and they only lasted for 36 hours.  I think that is their way of telling me that they loved them.  :)   Thankfully they are so easy to make...


Granola Bars

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup flour
3/4 cups raisins
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaton
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract



DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

*I've added chocolate chips (very yummy!!) and I was thinking about adding flax in next time. 


Enjoy! 

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look so yummy and EASY! I definitely want to try these. I've never bought wheat germ in my life... what does it look like and would I find it in the bulk section at a grocery store? It sounds really healthy. :o) Thanks Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful Katrina asked the question about wheat germ - I have no idea where to get it either and thought you would laugh at me if I asked :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so YUMMY and I am totally making them soon!

    Wheat Germ is available at health markets (GNC) or a whole foods like market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Courtney for answering the question! Just so you know, I also made these without the wheat germ, I just added more oats and they were still wonderful. I think you can easily change the recipe to fit your family... add some nuts, other dried fruit, etc.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O.K. Thanks! :o) I think I'll just try them with the oats then for now since I have lots of those... I'm sure my boys will love them... and I hope I don't love them TOO much or I won't be able to leave them alone... LOL! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! My friend and I were just talking about having a day once a month where we get together and make big batches of granola and granola bars and other healthy snacks for our families! (That was a long sentence- sorry!) And then I told her I would start looking for some good, healthy, trustworthy recipes - thanks so much! (I trust you, did you know that?) :D

    ReplyDelete