Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Being A Gate-Guarder

Nancy Campbell wrote: In Bible times the gates of the city were more than an entrance way. They were the busiest place in the city. They were a hub of activity. It was here that the elders sat to rule and direct the affairs of the city. It was here the judges and officers judged the daily matters of the people. It was at the gates the soldiers stood sentinel to guard and protect the city. It was here the people gathered to hear the prophets proclaim the Word of the Lord. Just inside the gates the markets flourished.

But where were the women? They were not in the city gates. They stood sentinel at the gates of their home, watching and guarding against any intrusion of the enemy. They used their God-given authority as mothers to direct the affairs of their home. The men were the city gate-keepers but the women were the home gate-keepers. This is still God’s principle for us today. As mothers, we are to be gate-builders, gate-guarders, gate-protectors and gate-repairers.


One of my roles as a mother is to be a gate-guarder. I am to guard the gate of my home, my children's lives and my life. 

My children are not at a place of maturity to discern good and evil. They do not know yet what will harm their spirits.  So, for my children - what am I to guard... to watch... to be aware of... and to not let into our home?

I need to watch and be aware of who their friends are and how much time they are spending with their friends. Is there a friendship that is bringing more harm then good? Then it might need to be ended.
I need to be aware of what movies they are watching and not let quite a few into our home.
I need to guard what books they are reading and what websites they are going to. I need to know who or what is influencing them.

The same goes for my life... I need to be careful what movies I watch, what books I read and who my closest friends are. Do they have sound doctrine? Are they encouraging me and challenging me in my role as a wife and mother? What am I letting influence me?


If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that
biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. 2 John 1:10,11


We've got to be careful with whom we let into our house, our lives and the lives of our children.

Thankfully, it doesn't end there. There is so much more...



1 comment: